Tuesday, December 3 2019
9:30am - 4:00pm
Type of event: WMPCC Project
Tally Ho Conference Centre
The West Midlands Police and Crime Commissioner are funding a Young People’s Diversion Project delivered by the Child Brain Injury Trust. There is NO CHARGE for participating in the project as the costs are covered by the funding from West Midlands PCC.
Participants in the Project will :
- Complete a 20 minute online e-Learning session providing an overview of ABI and why young people affected have a higher risk of engaging in criminal behaviours
- Attend this One Day (09:30 – 16:30) Workshop “Youth Justice or Rough Justice” , which aims to build upon the basic knowledge provided with the e-Learning, and understand the neurological and psychological impact of ABI, together with the links to criminal behaviour. This will include:
- Review of research supporting the links between young people affected by ABI and crime
- Understanding how and why young people affected by an ABI may be more likely to be excluded from school
- Practical activities to enable professionals to better understand the issues faced
- Review of experiential case studies to discuss what could/should have been done at all points from Education through to sentencing (and beyond)
- Practical strategies to support young people affected by ABI across different circumstances
- Discuss the vulnerability of young people being radicalised, drawn into County Lines, and involvement in gun, knife and gang crimes
- Consider how a cross agency pathway could be developed across Birmingham, to meet the aims of the project
- Have optional participation on further ½ day Multi Agency Focus Group to develop the Diversionary Pathway for children and young people in Birmingham who are affected by ABI and are at risk of entering the criminal justice system.
We are delighted to be working alongside the West Midlands Police and Crime Commissioner and look forward to your participation in the project
(NB Failure to attend or arrange a replacement participant on your reserved day will result in a cancellation charge of £50, by booking your place you agree to these terms. Cancellations accepted up to 5 working days prior to Workshop, without charge).
Book your space
Sorry, bookings are closed for this event.